Saturday 17 November 2012

Granny knows best

Isn't it funny how you don't appreciate things at the time?

I love vintage charm necklaces and have wanted a gold coin necklace for a while now, always cooing over Laura Lee's beautiful designs when I go into her shop in Covent Garden, and an obsessive fan of Anina Vogel's pieces she makes from reclaimed vintage jewellery. 

So you can imagine my utter joy yesterday when I found this necklace wrapped in cotton wool inside a little plastic box, tucked away in my old jewellery box. I couldn't believe it. My Grandma's old gold sovereign necklace she wore all the time that was passed to me after she died when I was in my early twenties. At the time I perhaps didn't appreciate the beauty of it, but kept it safe as a memory of Grandma Elsie. The cigarette-loving, Ibiza-going Essex girl.

It's a 1913 King George V sovereign, with King George on one side and St.George slaying the dragon on the other.

I've yet to find out if it's a real gold original and therefore probably worth a bit too, but I'm not really fussed. It's just nice to wear something that belonged to her and I love. I'm so glad I found this!

Thanks Grandma, love Chloe-Jane (as I was always known to her) X






No comments:

Post a Comment